We challenged Lizzie from The Baking Birds in Upwey, Dorset to create a Dorset Tea™ Dorset Apple, Cake and here it is for you to try at home. Deliciously moist, packed with fruit and bursting with ﬂavour the cake has a Dorset Tea™ tea glaze making it the perfect partner for a lovely hot cup of our premium tea.
- 2 Dorset Tea™ tea bags
- 250g mixed dried fruit
- 150ml boiling water
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 125g butter
- 250g dark soft brown sugar
- 500g English Apples
- (such as Bramley or Cox)
- Unprepared weight, cored & roughly chopped into pieces (approx 2 cm)
- 2 free range eggs
- 350g self raising ﬂour
- 1 level teaspoon mixed spice
- 50g dark brown sugar & strained liquid from steeped fruit
HOW TO MAKE
To prepare the fruit:
- Put 2 Dorset Tea™ tea bags in a bowl, add sugar & the mixed fruit & pour on boiling water. Leave to steep overnight or at least 2 hours.
To make the cake:
- Line a 7 inch square or 8 inch round cake tin with baking parchment. Preheat the oven to Gas 4/ 180C
- Put the butter, sugar & drained fruit in a saucepan. Cook gently until the sugar is dissolved & then bring to a simmer. Switch off the heat & throw the prepared apple in the pan & allow to cool for about 20 minutes
- As soon as it's cool, beat in the eggs and add the flour and mixed spice.
- Mix until just combined & pour into the tin. Pop in the oven for 1 hr -1 hr 15 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Whilst the cake is cooking make the syrup glaze. Add the sugar to the strained tea from the fruit in a small saucepan. Bring this to the boil & then switch off.
- Pour this syrup over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.